Crispy Roasted Whole Chicken with Butternut Squash
Whole free-range chicken seasoned with turmeric, garlic, salt and pepper.
Not only will this savory, crispy roasted chicken dish have your mouth watering uncontrollably, but the smells from the kitchen will be intoxicating as well. Try this when you need a relatively simple dish that will make you look like a gourmet chef!
I used to live off of grilled skinless chicken breasts. They were always dry and lacking flavor. I used to cover them in ketchup to add flavor and thought it was healthy. My world changed when I realized that I was missing out on the majority of what the bird had to offer. A healthy, skin-on, whole chicken not only tastes way better, but it is a better value. It gives me meat for multiple meals, is more sustainable and the flavor is out of this world.
- Wash and pat dry the chicken
- Coat the chicken with olive oil
- Liberally apply the seasoning mix all over the outside of the bird
- Place the seasoned chicken on a baking dish or skillet (The Lodge is my all time favorite)
- Roast on 425F for the first 20 minutes to crisp the skin, then lower to 350F for another 35 minutes
- Remove from oven, let it cool then carve, remember legs first, wings second, then breasts
Favorite Side Dish:
Roasted Butternut Squash
Squash with a kick!
- 1 whole, peeled and cubed squash(1.5 inch cubes)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp of each Salt-Garlic-Turmeric-Red Pepper flakes
- On a baking pan drizzle cubed squash with olive oil and evenly coat with seasoning
- Give the squash a few tosses in the pan to really coat with seasoning and oil
- Roast on 350F for 30-35 minutes