Featured Chef Danny Sterling is an experienced restaurant chef and has apprenticed under multiple Certified Master Chefs. Danny has prepared some seriously amazing recipes for us to share. Here’s one that will have your taste buds dancing, Citrus Brined Roasted Chicken. Start with a USWM pasture raised whole chicken and follow Danny’s instructions for a sensational gourmet meal.
Recipe Author: Danny Sterling | Cumberland Heritage
USWM Shopping List: Whole Chicken, Grass-fed Ghee
PHOTO CREDIT: Citrus Brined Roasted Chicken by Danny Sterling | Cumberland Heritage
- 4# USWM Whole chicken
- 2cups orange juice
- 2 cups filtered water
- 3tbsp Braggs organic apple cider vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 10 black peppercorns
- 5tbsps of sea salt
- ¼ cup grass fed ghee
Instructions For Citrus Brined Roasted Chicken
- Combine all ingredients except for the chicken in a large bowl and whisk to ensure it’s mixed well.
- Place whole chicken in brine for 24hrs. (Depending on the vessel, you may need more orange juice and water, the brine needs to cover the chicken completely. If need be, put a few plates on the chicken to keep it fully submerged)
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F (use same temperature for convection ovens, it will just take less time)
- Once chicken is brined remove and dry thoroughly with paper towels.
- Once dry, rub the chicken in grass fed ghee, place on a roasting rack and put in the oven. (be sure to put a thermometer in the chicken breast, slightly to the right of the wishbone at the thickest part of the chicken)
- Take the chicken to an internal temperature of 135°F (I know that this is low, but by the time the chicken rests it should hit an internal temperature of 155°F which is safe to eat).
- Let the chicken rest for at least 15 minutes before carving. Reserve the thighs for another time or serve with the breast.
Meet The Chef:
Chef Danny Sterling and his wife Julia are the proprietors of Cumberland Heritage Co. Danny specializes in developing recipes and preparing healthy, nutritious, ancestral foods. The husband/wife duo are also available for nutrition consulting and private events.