Our July 2022 Featured Chef, Gil Butler of the Primal Chef wows us with another nutrient-dense and delicious recipe. Sautéed with onions and garlic, the grass-fed liver in this recipe bursts with flavor. Once the cooked liver comes to room temperature, it’s ready to be blended into a smooth spread. Stir in hard-boiled eggs for texture and extra nutrition and serve as a dip for crudites— slices of your favorite raw vegetables.
Gil creates healthy homemade meals for celebrities and business executives in Los Angeles. See Gil’s Main Featured Chef Page to learn more about his story, check out his Instagram page for inspiring meals, watch his YouTube cooking show, and get inspired by 81 recipes found in his Primal Paleo Cookbook.
Chopped Liver with Crudites
USWM Shopping List: 1 lb US Wellness Meats Beef Liver
Yields: 1 cup liver
1 Tbsp avocado oil
1 lb yellow onions
4 ea garlic cloves
1⁄2 tsp salt
1⁄4 tsp black pepper
2 ea eggs, hard-boiled
1 ea diced carrot
1 ea cucumber
- Cut liver into even slices.
- Under cold running water, rinse the liver of all its slime and smell.
- Soak the liver for 30 minutes submerged in water to help this process further.
- After 30 minutes, rinse it off again.
- Heat a sauté pan with avocado oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the livers and sear until just barely pink in the middle. Remove.
- Add onions and cook until caramelized.
- When mostly caramelized, add the garlic and continue to cook until soft.
- Return the liver to the pan and toss with the onions and garlic. Add the salt and pepper.
- Cool to room temperature and then put the mixture into a food processor and process
- Fold in hard-boiled eggs and mix.
- Chill completely.
- Serve with carrot, cucumber, or any other vegetable or healthy cracker.
Gil Butler, The Primal Chef, is a health-focused private chef in Los Angeles cooking for some of the highest-profile people around including business executives and celebrities. Gil specializes in ancestral-style foods for Paleo, Keto, Whole30, Bulletproof, Carnivore, AIP, gluten-free, allergy-free, and just overall healthy food.