Our Discover Blog is home to a treasure trove of recipes for savory soups, stews, and broths. Cooler weather means simmering pots of delicious, meaty, flavor packed meals.
This Chipotle Beef Stew from Catalina Castravet of Sweet and Savory Meals, is “tender and hearty, infused with aromatic Mexican flavors, and made with chipotle chiles in adobo sauce for some heat.” ~ Catalina Castravet
Put this stew on the stove or in the slow cooker to simmer while the family enjoys the great outdoors. After a long simmer, this beefy stew will be ready and waiting to warm up your insides.
As with all soups and stews, this one is versatile. Have some extra veggies in the fridge? Include them in the recipe. Change up the meat the next time you serve this to make something a little different. Try it in a dutch oven or pressure cooker. Add some heat to the recipe with more or less hot peppers. There are lots of ways to make this your own, and a family favorite for years to come.
Chipotle Beef Stew
Recipe By: Catalina Castravet | Sweet and Savory Meals
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours 30 minutes
Servings: 6 servings
US Wellness Shopping List: Stew Beef
- 2 pounds beef stew meat cut into 2-3 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup light Mexican beer
- 1 medium onion peeled and finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can 10oz diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 2 bell peppers any color – roughly chopped
- 3 medium carrots peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 pound mini red potatoes peeled and cut into halves
- 8 ounces baby Bella mushrooms cleaned, stem removed and cap cut into halves
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1-2 canned chipotle chiles
- 1-2 tablespoons adobo sauce from canned chipotle chiles
- Juice of 1 lime
- Zest of 1 lime
- 3 cups beef broth low-sodium, more if needed
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 bunch of fresh thyme
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Add beef chunks to a large bowl, and sprinkle with flour, salt, and black pepper. Toss to combine.
- Add a heavy-duty, skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the beef into one layer, making sure to not overcrowd thee pan. Brown, turning the pieces on all sides, for about 5 minutes per batch. Remove from pot and transfer to a plate, cover with foil.
- Add more oil to the pot and cook another batch of beef. Add the browned beef to the slow cooker.
- Once done cooking the beef, reduce the heat to medium and add the beer to deglaze the pot. Use a wooden spoon to scrape well the bits that stuck to the bottom. Add drippings to the slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the crockpot, except thyme and bay leaves. Stir to combine. Top with bay leaves and thyme and cover with the lid.
- Cook on Low for 7-8 hours or on High for 4-5 hours.
- Once the beef is fork-tender, discard the bay leaves and thyme, stir to combine. Garnish with cilantro and serve with favorite toppings.
Calories: 441kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 94mg | Sodium: 1490mg | Potassium: 1380mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 6555IU | Vitamin C: 62mg | Calcium: 78mg | Iron: 5mg
With a passion for cooking and baking that I inherited from my highly talented grandma and mom, I decided to start a journey and share all the delicious recipes with my beloved followers. I love spending time in the kitchen, cooking family favorites, and traditional meals, as well to mix and match ingredients.
Over the past ten years, I dedicated most of my time to learning, testing, and growing my knowledge in the kitchen. I always strive to learn and improve my cooking skills. Just recently, I took a few culinary boot camps at NYC culinary school. Also, whenever possible, I meet with various local and International private chefs to learn and also share about the art of cooking.