Using a classic Argentina chimichurri sauce, this recipe for chimichurri steak bowls is an easy, healthy dinner served up in a bowl with roasted potatoes, avocados and pickled red onions.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Author Kate Kordsmeier | rootandrevel.com
- 1 pound organic, grass-fed flank steak
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 organic Yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 2 cups cooked cauliflower rice (can substitute regular rice or omit altogether if you prefer)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup pickled red onions (see note for instructions)
- 1 cup chimichurri sauce
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Rub 1 tablespoon olive oil into steak, and liberally season with salt and pepper on both sides. You can cook the steak on the grill or in a cast-iron pan. I recommend 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest for 5-10 minutes after cooking, and then thinly slice against the grain.
- Meanwhile, toss diced potatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- Evenly distribute cooked rice across 4 bowls. Top with steak, roasted potatoes, avocado and pickled onions. Drizzle chimichurri evenly across each bowl. Serve and enjoy!
To make pickled red onions, simply slice a red onion and cover the slices with 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar and a teaspoon each of pink sea salt and organic coconut sugar. Toss and let sit for at least 5 minutes (30 is ideal; so you can make these before you start cooking and let them sit while you prepare the rest of the meal).
Thanks to Kate Kordsmeier, the founder of Root + Revel and freelance food and travel writer for this amazing recipe.
PHOTO CREDITS: Heidi Geldhauser