Recipe & photos courtesy of Jessi Heggan, Jessi’s Kitchen
Fall and winter months bring us opportunities to prepare special dishes for family and friends. Holidays bring families together to celebrate and fellowship and good food plays an important role. This Roasted Chicken recipe is a great example of food that can bring people together.
The flavor ensemble in this roasted chicken recipe is absolutely mouth-watering. As always, start with quality ingredients for the best flavor and nutrition. Choosing pasture raised poultry over confined birds is an important choice. These animals live a life in their natural habitat doing what chickens do. They root and forage for food in the pasture. This can amount to a significant percentage of their overall diet and it’s evidenced by happy, healthy birds.
Recipe Author: Jessi Heggan of Jessi’s Kitchen
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 150 min
Total Time: 2 hrs 45 min
Recipe & photo courtesy of Jessi Heggan, Jessi’s Kitchen
- 4–4.5lb chicken
- 1/3 cup ghee or softened grass-fed butter
- 1 tsp ancho chile powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Zest and slices of 3 limes
Instructions for Roasted Chicken
- Pull the whole chicken out of the refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes and preheat oven to 300.
- Combine the ghee, ancho, chili powder, garlic, sea salt, pepper and lime zest in to a bowl mix in to a paste.
- Take a tablespoon or two of the ghee mixture and rub it under the chicken skin and then add several of lime slices inside the chicken cavity.
- Tie the chicken with some butcher’s twine so it cooks evenly and then rub the rest of the ghee mixture all over the chicken.
- Place the chicken in a large cast iron cast iron skillet and roast for approximately 2.5 hours or until internal temperature reaches 165.
- Let the roasted chicken set for about 15 minutes and then serve.
Cooking time may vary some according to the size of your chicken.
Meet The Chef
Our thanks to Jessi Heggan of Jessi’s Kitchen for sharing this wonderful recipe. At Jessi’s Kitchen, you will find a mixture of gluten free, paleo friendly, vegan, vegetarian and probably some delicious cocktails to try. Visit Jessi’s Kitchen for recipes, home/lifestyle, and beauty tips.