“This easy Tex Mex casserole uses favorite taco ingredients like ground turkey, avocado, tomatoes, black beans, rice, cheese, and taco seasoning for an easy meal prep casserole that will have the whole family excited.
The best part? This is the second recipe in our 4-week budget-friendly dinners series! So not only is this absolutely delicious, it’s a budget-friendly meal perfect for anyone looking to do some frugal meal planning.” – Allison Schaaf
Budget Friendly Tex Mex Casserole
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1 heirloom tomato (or large tomato)
- 2 avocados
- 1 # ground turkey
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 1 cup rice
- 15 oz black beans
- 5 oz diced green chiles
- 1T taco seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Place 2 cups water and 1 cup rice in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, lower heat to low, cover pot, and simmer ~20 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Heat 1T olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add 1# ground turkey and 1T taco seasoning. Cook, breaking apart meat, until cooked through.
- Chop 1 tomato and 2 avocados.
- Chop 1 bunch green onions.
- In a casserole dish, combine cooked rice, ground turkey, 15oz drained, rinsed black beans, 5oz diced green chiles, chopped tomatoes, and 1T taco seasoning. Mix well.
- Sprinkle casserole with 1 cup shredded cheddar. Place in the oven and cook ~ 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with green onions and avocados.
Our team at US Wellness Meats is full of busy moms and dads with quite a few mouths to feed, and We cannot get enough of this delicious casserole recipe by Allison Schaaf. Give it a try with shredded chicken or your favorite beef grind, it will not disappoint! Check out our blog for more recipes by Allison and our other creative chefs.
Prep Dish is a gluten-free, paleo, and keto meal planning website. Celebrity personal chef & dietitian Allison Schaaf thoughtfully crafts each plan using her own well-tested recipes. Each meal plan allows you, the home cook, to spend only 2-3 hours preparing a week’s worth of crave-worthy, healthy meals using seasonal, whole foods (nothing processed!). We aim to save you time while keeping your family’s taste buds happy.