Along with the change in seasons comes some additional opportunities to get together with family and friends. Fall and winter months bring along several holidays that celebrate savory creations from the kitchen. That’s where this wonderful bottom round roast recipe from Marla Sarris comes in. This is a relatively easy recipe, but the results will have you dreaming of your next opportunity to prepare a grass-fed roast.
Recipe Author: Marla Sarris
US Wellness Meats Shopping List: 3lb Bottom Round Roast, Beef Broth
PHOTO CREDIT: MARLA SARRIS
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 3lb grassfed beef bottom round roast
- 7-10 cloves garlic, skins removed
- coarse ground sea salt, to taste
- coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- 10-14 fresh sage leaves
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Peel the sweet potatoes. Slice into chips and quarter each chip.
- Peel the onion and cut into thick wedges.
- Add the sweet potato and onion chunks to a large glass baking dish.
- Place the roast in the middle of the vegetables.
- Cut small and shallow slices in the roast, all around the sides and the top, deep enough to hold the garlic. Place a whole clove of garlic into each slice of the roast.
- Season the vegetables and the roast with a sprinkling of sea salt and black pepper.
- Cover the top of the roast with the fresh sage leaves. Add any leftovers to the mixture of surrounding vegetables.
- Pour the broth over the top of the vegetables.
- Cover the dish with foil, or a lid if you have one, and bake for 2 hours. Remove foil and continue to roast for 30 minutes to an hour, or until roast is tender.
- Slice and serve. ENJOY!
Our thanks to Marla Sarris who is the creator of this delicious Paleo Bottom Round Roast recipe. Marla is the co-author of the cookbook, Pigskin Paleo and executive producer of the film, Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things. She’s also authoring a new cookbook, Paleo MX: Authentic Mexican Recipes, which we’re anticipating. You can learn more about Marla here.