We present to you a little bit of dinner inspiration for your week! Check out this mouthwatering good Braised Beef Short Ribs recipe courtesy of December Featured Chef Marisa Tolsma. These ribs are slow-cooked for 6-8 hours to perfection and pair great with roasted vegetables. A special thank you to Marisa for sharing this one with us.
Braised Beef Short Ribs
Recipe By: Marisa Tolsma, Bumble Bee Apothecary
- 4 lb. beef short ribs
- 2 TBSP beef tallow
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 carrots
- crushed red tomatoes or 1-2 chopped fresh tomatoes
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 splash dry red wine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Filtered water
- Preheat oven to 225ºF.
- Heat tallow in a large dutch oven on the stovetop.
- If needed, separate short ribs with a sharp knife (US Wellness Meats has them separated already).
- When tallow is hot, sear all sides of the short ribs for a few minutes on each side.
- Remove short ribs from dutch oven and set aside on a plate.
- Coarsely chop onion and carrots.
- Add onion, carrots, salt, and pepper to dutch oven and cook in hot tallow for a few minutes.
- Add red wine, 2 cups water, tomatoes, and let sauce cook over medium high heat and reduce a bit.
- Add garlic and bay leaves to sauce.
- Add short ribs to dutch oven, nestling them down into the sauce and vegetables and leaving the tops of the meat exposed.
- Cover dutch oven with lid and cook in oven at 225ºF for 6-8 hours.
- Serve ribs with vegetables and sauce together in large bowls or soup plates. Delicious with a green salad on the side.
Looking for more recipes to try? Visit our full selection on the Discover Blog.
I’m Marisa. I’m a certified GAPS™ coach, as well as a wife and mom of 3. Overcoming chronic health issues with diet changed my life. My mission is to bring you timeless, traditional wisdom to impact your wellbeing today, inspired by the studies of Dr. Weston A. Price. I share nourishing recipes, natural remedies, and DIY skincare and home products. I am passionate about taking good care of our bodies and our earth. Since childhood I’ve had an immense love for everything natural, organic, and lovingly handmade. Spending time on a small, family run organic farm, as well as my own family’s homesteading adventures, has taught me so much about love for the land, the plants and animals all around us, and good stewardship with the gifts they provide.