Tacos are such a fan-favorite they have earned a day of the week. For your next Taco Tuesday, we recommend you give these delicious Braised Beef Short Rib Tacos a try! This recipe is courtesy of January 2021 Featured Chef Kevin Rutherford. Using US Wellness Meats Pasture-Raised, 100% Grass-Fed Beef Short Ribs is sure to wow those joining you for dinner.
Braised Beef Short Rib Tacos
Recipe By: Kevin Rutherford | Lets Truck
Prep Time: 30 min
Cooking Time: 3 hrs
Total Time: 3 hrs 30 min
USWM Shopping List: Beef Short Ribs, Pepper Jack Cheese
Beef Short Ribs
- 1 Pound Beef Short Ribs
- Kosher salt
- Avocado Oil
- 1 Spanish onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 rib celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 carrot, peeled, cut in 1/2 lengthwise, then cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped green chilis (Hatch preferred)
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 cups tomato paste
- 1 cup hearty red wine
- 1/2 cups water
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, tied with kitchen string
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- 1 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 3 3 Tbsp Chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 3 Tbsp Avocado Oil
- 5 2 Tbsp Lime juice
- 6 Salt to taste
- 7 Garnish
- Shredded pepper Jack Cheese
Braised Short Ribs
- Season each short rib generously with salt. Oil a dutch oven large enough to accommodate all the meat and vegetables with avocado oil and bring to high heat. Add the short ribs to the pan and sear well, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- While the short ribs are searing, combine all the vegetables and garlic in the food processor pulse to a thick puree. When the short ribs are seared, remove them from the pan. Add the pureed vegetables. Season the vegetables with plenty of salt and brown until they are dark. Add the tomato paste. Brown the tomato paste for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan. Lower the heat if things start to burn. Reduce the mixture by half.
- Return the short ribs to the pan and add 2 cups of water or until the water has just about covered the meat. Add the thyme bundle and bay leaves. Cover the pan and place in the preheated oven for 2 hours. Check periodically during the cooking process and add more water, if needed. Turn the ribs over halfway through the cooking time. Remove the lid during the last 20 minutes of cooking to let things get nice and brown and to let the sauce reduce. When done the meat should be very tender but not falling apart.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and salt to taste.
- I use both soft and hard grain-free taco shells from Siete Foods or Thrive Market
- Load up your taco shells with hot and cold toppings and garnish with shredded pepper jack cheese
Follow along with more tasty recipes on our Discover Blog.
Kevin Rutherford has been involved in the trucking industry his entire life. He bought his first truck when he was 22 years old. He is a Certified Financial Planner, Functional Nutritional Therapy Practitioner and host of the wildly popular Trucking Business & Beyond Sirius XM radio show. He’s helped thousands of truck drivers to help them improve their business and health. Kevin has also developed the NDK (Nutrient Dense Keto) Diet to help drivers stay healthy on the road.