“In a world that’s trying to get us to eat less meat, less protein, and less nourishing food in general, let’s do the opposite. A tasty bone marrow burger seems like a great place to start…” ~Ashleigh VanHouten
Join us in welcoming November 2020 Featured Chef Ashleigh VanHouten back to the blog! Over the last couple of years, Ashleigh has been busy developing various health and fitness resources for women: the Muscle Science for Women podcast and training program, Fuel for Pregnancy and Postpartum eBook, and many more! In November 2020, we celebrated Ashleigh’s cookbook release, It Takes Guts, with nose-to-tail recipes. Now, we are celebrating Ashleigh’s 2022 cookbook, Carnivore-ish!
Carnivore-ish features “125 protein-rich recipes to boost your health and build muscle.” If you’re searching for a balanced lifestyle that appreciates meat-based protein, Carnivore-ish will help build confidence in your recipes and health and wellness standards. Check out this delicious Bone Marrow Burger recipe from Carnivore-ish, and watch the video.
“This recipe may ruin for you regular burgers forever. The bone marrow adds richness, luscious fat, and a hit of umami that, when balanced correctly, is deeply satisfying without being over-the-top decadent. We like stone-ground mustard and pickles to cut the meatiness, but add whatever condiments you like. Your keto-carnivore friends will love this one.” ~ Ashleigh
Bone Marrow Burgers
Recipe & Photos by Ashleigh VanHouten | @themusclemaven
Serves: 4 | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes
USWM Shopping List: Canoed Beef Marrow Bones, Ground Beef
- 1-2 frozen Canoed Beef Marrow Bones
- 1 1/4 pounds Ground Beef
- 1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt, plus more for finishing
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- For serving:
- Grain-free buns or lettuce wraps
- Stone-ground mustard (optional)
- Pickles (optional)
- Put the frozen marrow bones in the fridge until just defrosted, no longer than 20 minutes. Use a spoon to scoop out the marrow. Place the marrow on a cutting board and coarsely chop it. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the ground beef, salt, and pepper to the bone marrow and mix gently with your hands until just incorporated (don’t overmix as you don’t want the marrow to melt). Divide the mixture into four equal portions, then form into 2-inch-thick patties.
- Preheat a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Cook the patties until an instant-read thermometer stuck into the center reads 145°F for medium-rare, about 5 minutes per side.
- Finish with flaky sea salt and serve in buns or lettuce wraps with mustard and pickles if desired.
Note: If your skillet is well-seasoned, you won’t need to add fat to it before placing the patties in it. If yours isn’t well-seasoned, or you aren’t sure, swirl a tablespoon of avocado oil in the skillet when it’s hot.
Discover more of Ashleigh’s recipes and US Wellness favorites!
Ashleigh VanHouten is an author, speaker, podcast host, and self-proclaimed muscle nerd. Her first book, a nose-to-tail, organ-meat-centric cookbook called It Takes Guts, is available online and in stores. As the host of The Muscle Maven Radio podcast, she interviews some of the leading minds in exercise and nutrition methodology and overall wellness. She also works as a consultant in the fitness industry to help others build their brand and communicate their messages to the world. In her downtime, Ashleigh is a nationally ranked natural figure competitor, and she dabbles in powerlifting, arm wrestling, and BJJ. However, her biggest hobby is trying to convince people to eat organ meat!