With cooler weather on it’s way, this Beef Butternut Stew recipe from Sean & Suzanne of Pastured Kitchen makes a great dish to prepare for a week of nutritious lunches. The rich flavor from this savory stew comes in part from the nutrient dense beef bone broth that is used as the base, grassfed stew beef, and liver.
Enjoy as a hearty meal while rooting on your favorite football team this fall! Delish!
RECIPE AUTHOR: Sean & Suzanne of Pastured Kitchen
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 10 hours
Total Time: 10 hrs 20 min
PHOTO CREDIT: Pastured Kitchen
- 2 lbs grass fed beef stew meat
- 1 lbs grass fed beef liver, cubed
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into half rings
- 1 large butternut squash, cubed
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 4 cups beef bone broth
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tbs tallow for searing
- sea salt to taste
- cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- handful of fresh sage, finely chopped
- 2 tsp oregano
- Place chopped carrots and butternut squash cubes into the bottom of a Crock Pot.
- Rinse stew meat, and cubed liver and pat dry.
- In a large skillet, add tallow and heat on medium-high.
- When the oil is hot enough, sear beef on ALL sides giving it a nice crust, usually about 3-4 minutes per side.
- When the beef is finished searing, place on top of carrot and squash mixture in the slow cooker.
- Reduce skillet heat to medium and saute the onions and mushrooms in the beef juices.
- While the vegetables are sauteing, add beef broth, and seasonings to slow cooker.
- Add mushrooms and onions to slow cooker.
- Cook in slow cooker on low overnight (10-12 hours) or on high for 4-5 hours.