Recipe Author: Jessi Heggan of Jessi’s Kitchen
Beef Brisket Tacos Can Be A Healthier Alternative
Beef Brisket Tacos have a very special place in my heart…or maybe I should say stomach. Anyway, they are hands down one of my favorite foods and really just any taco in general. I could probably eat them every day and not get sick of them. Because we live in the age of taco bell I feel like tacos get a bad rap of being super unhealthy. I totally agree that they can be but I think tacos can really be an outlet to eat a lot of really nutrient dense produce. We always load our tacos down with 4-5 different seasonal vegetables; use a good quality protein and grain-free tortillas.
This brisket is a great slow cooker recipe for a busy week and you don’t even have to make tacos out of this brisket. We use it for burrito bowls, salads, breakfast and a myriad of other dishes.
If you have an Instant Pot you actually can cook it in there and just follow the instructions for pressure-cooking beef. It will only take an hour or two to cook and that is always a plus.
I have optional toppings listed below because you can really use any of your favorite taco toppings or what is currently in season. Those are just some of my personal favorite pairings with brisket.
So here’s to creating a healthier Taco Tuesday and giving tacos a better rap!
NOTE: USWM pre-cooked BBQ Sliced Brisket is an excellent time saving option on this recipe if you don’t have 8 hours to invest.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 8 hours or less
- 2 -3 lbs beef brisket (pre-cooked BBQ Sliced Brisket)
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 3 cups broth
- Chipotle lime mayo (I prefer Primal Kitchen)
- Red cabbage
- Pumpkin seeds
- Spicy pickled onions
- Siete Tortillas
- Mix together all of the spices in a small bowl and then liberally season the brisket on both sides. Set aside
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the brisket and sear both sides for about 1 minute and then remove from the pan.
- Add the onions and quickly sauté for about one minute and them and the brisket to a slow cooker.
- Add the stock and cook on high for about 8 hours or until the brisket falls apart.
- Prepare taco shells and toppings and then shred the brisket. Build tacos according to personal preference and enjoy!
A hearty USWM thank you to Jessi Heggan of Jessi’s Kitchen for this tantalizing brisket recipe. At Jessi’s Kitchen you will find a mixture of gluten free, paleo friendly, vegan, vegetarian and probably some delicious cocktails to try.