Good food brings people together. December Featured Chef Chris Gonzalez knows this all too well as he was inspired by his large family coming together to share delicious homemade dishes from scratch. Recipes are a little piece of family history. Each time we share a recipe with a new generation, we are not only sharing a meal, but we are passing down family traditions and memories that transcend time. Being raised in Miami, Chris was inspired by his family’s Cuban, Dominican, and Spanish roots. One of his Spanish-inspired dishes is Spanish Arroz con Pollo. A traditional dish of Spain, “Arroz con Pollo” is a savory dish of rice, chicken, vegetables, and herbs. Follow along with his yummy recipe below.
Recipe And Photo By Chris Gonzalez | Miami Wellness Club®
Spanish Arroz con Pollo
Recipe By: Chris Gonzalez | Miami Wellness Club®
Course: Lunch / Dinner
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hr.
Total Time: 1 Hr. 30 Mins
Servings: 4 – 8 Servings
- 3 Tablespoons Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 5 lb. Whole Organic Spatchcock Chicken, Bone In, Skin On, divided
- 2 Teaspoons Celtic or Himalayan Pink Sea Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Organic Garlic Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Organic Dried Cumin
- ¼ Teaspoon Organic Black Pepper
- ¼ Teaspoon Organic Cayenne Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Annatto Powder, Bijol or Turmeric (to color the rice)
- 1 Organic Bay Leaf
- 2 Teaspoons Organic Dried Oregano
- 1 Small Organic Yellow Onion, finely diced
- 4 Cloves Organic Garlic, finely diced
- 1 Organic Green Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Organic Red Bell Pepper, (1/4 sliced for garnish, ¾ diced for rice)
- 1 ½ Cups Organic Long Grain White Rice
- 1 ½ Cups Organic Chicken Broth
- 1 ¼ Cups Spring Water
- ½ Cup Organic Tomato Sauce
- ½ Cup Organic Frozen Peas (Optional)
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, cumin, cayenne, garlic powder. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Over medium-high heat, place chicken legs in the pan and brown on both sides. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same pan, add remaining olive oil and sauté onion, garlic, red and green peppers, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add rice, water, chicken broth, tomato sauce, annatto powder, bay leaf, oregano, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Add chicken. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 35-45 min. Add frozen peas (optional), stirring until warm. Let rest for 10 min, fluff rice with fork, serve, garnish with red bell peppers and enjoy!
Explore more recipes on the Discover Blog.
Chris Gonzalez is a Certified Holistic Health Coach, Natural Foods Chef, and the Founder & CEO of Miami Wellness Club ®, South Florida’s Premier Guide to Healthy Living ™. When creating dishes, Chris draws inspiration from his family’s Cuban, Dominican, and Spanish roots. As a natural food chef, he describes his cooking style as organic, holistic, gourmet – global culinary cuisine, using local and seasonal ingredients.