Recipe and Photos courtesy of Stacey Venancio, Real World AIP
For anyone who loves Italian foods that include pasta, it can be really difficult to come up with a recipe that eliminates the potential allergens and retains the wonderful flavors. Past Featured Chef Stacey Venancio has accomplish the feat with her own clean version of AIP Queso Beef Lasagna.
“Here’s my favorite way to make AIP compliant lasagna! The authentic noodly lasagna noodles, queso sauce and creamy Italian seasoned beef make it so delicious! ” – Stacey Venancio | Real World AIP
US Wellness Shopping List: Grass-fed Ground Beef
For the Noodles:
- 4 unripe, very green bananas, peeled. (About 10 oz after peeling)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
For the Beef Mix:
- 1 lb grass-fed beef. I buy my grass-fed meats from US Wellness.
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp AIP compliant Italian Seasoning Blend
- 1/2 c minced onion
- 1/2 c AIP compliant coconut milk
For the Other Layers:
- Baby kale or your choice of leafy greens. 1 whole bag or box, 5-10 oz. Err on the side of using too much- it shrinks down a lot!
- 1/4 c water
- 1/2 recipe AIP Queso sauce or Novolone Cheese (Or your favorite AIP cheese or Alfredo sauce recipe)
- Optional: 8-12 oz AIP No-Tomato Marinara sauce
Make the Noodles:
- Blend all of the noodle ingredients (unripe banana, salt, oregano, onion and garlic powder) together in a high speed blender.
- Spread dough in a 1/8″ thick layer onto ungreased parchment paper.
- Place another sheet of parchment on top of that dough and spread another layer of dough on top of it.
- Repeat until all dough is used. (4 peeled unripe bananas gave me 3 sheets of dough.)
- Top the last layer of dough with a layer of parchment paper. (It needs to be covered or it will get crispy instead of soft like pasta.)
- Bake in a pre-heated 450 degree oven for 30 min. (Keep a close eye on it after 25 min, I use a toaster oven so a regular oven may require less cook time.)
- Let cool in the parchment paper in the fridge while preparing the other ingredients.
- When it’s time to layer the lasagna, use a pizza roller or knife to cut into lasagna noodle sized strips. These should easily peel off of the parchment paper.
Make the Filling:
- Saute the ground beef until it is mostly cooked through and drain any excess fat.
- Add the italian seasoning, salt, onion and coconut milk and cook for another 3 or 4 minutes until beef is cooked through.
- Transfer beef mix to a bowl.
In the same pan (no need to wash the pan or dirty another pan!):
- Add your kale or other leafy greens and 1/4 cup water.
- Cover the pan and let steam until wilted but still bright green, about 3-4 minutes.
- Set the kale aside.
Build the Lasagna:
An ungreased 6 cup glass pyrex dish works perfectly for this recipe (Makes 4 servings), or you can double the ingredients and use a bigger dish.
- Put 1/3 of the beef mix on the bottom of the dish.
- Layer 1/3 of your leafy greens over the beef.
- Layer 1/4 of your queso cheese over the kale.
- Layer noodles on top of the cheese to cover.
- Opt: Pour on some no-tomato marinara here.
Aaaaand keep layering until you’ve used up all of your ingredients.
Top with the remaining cheese.
Cover the dish with foil and bake in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Stacey Venancio is on a mission to make the world a healthier, happier place through food, fitness, and mindset inspiration. She is a full-time ACE Certified Personal Trainer as well as an ACE Certified Health Coach. Through her blog, Real World AIP, Stacey shares delicious AIP recipes and inspiration to achieve a better quality of life.